How to Quickly Restore Your Flood-Damaged Property in Ft. Lauderdale
If flood damage occurs in your home, be sure to contact SERVPRO. Our professionals have the equipment and expertise to get the job done.
SERVPRO® Offers Trusted Storm Water Removal Services in Ft. Lauderdale
No matter how prepared you are, incidents such as flood damage happen when they are least expected and can interfere with your schedule. So, what happens if you already have other plans - like visiting the Historic Stranahan House Museum? We can offer immediate storm damage restoration service even when you do not have the time to monitor the procedures we carry out to return your property to its preloss state.
Assessing your property is one of the first procedures our SERVPRO technicians perform during storm water removal in Ft. Lauderdale. Water removal entails using specialized equipment such as submersible pumps and wet vacuums. We then perform professional drying to prevent eventualities such as warping, cracking, mold growth, and swelling that may compromise the building's integrity.
If you are a pet owner, there are wonderful stores in the city that you can visit to get some toys, chews, food, and other supplies. Auggie's Pet Supplies is a friendly store with knowledgeable staff ready to listen to your pet's needs. If you are not sure what you need, they can always introduce your pet to a better or new diet.
Pet Wants Fort Lauderdale promises to offer nutritious and fresh pet food prepared using the best ingredients you can ever find. If you are busy, you can purchase the food online and have the food delivered to your doorstep. Even if your dog is overweight, athletic, or has an allergy, you can always find suitable food at the store.
Call SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale South at (954) 776-2000 to safely restore your storm-damaged property. Our flood damage remediation experts are on standby 24 hours a day and always aim to make your home "Like it never even happened."
Fast Floodwater Removal Services in Fort Lauderdale
SERVPRO's Disaster Recovery Team rescues Fort Lauderdale Homeowners after flooding. "Like it never even happened."
Flood Cleanup Begins Immediately for Properties
Coastal cities like Fort Lauderdale rely on tourism to drive their economy year-round. A pleasant 75-degree average makes this southern Florida community a hot spot for snowbirds and vacationers. Once a popular destination for spring breakers until the mid-1980s, Fort Lauderdale has rebranded, become less attractive to the college crowd, and services an older, more wealthy form of traveler. This fact is likely how the city became the world's yachting capital, with more than 50,000 registered vessels of this type and docking at more than 100 marinas along the shoreline. The popularity of yachting has also generated more than 110,000 jobs for local residents in manufacturing facilities creating the seafaring ships.
With close to 200,000 residents, many Fort Lauderdale homes might require flood water removal after hurricanes or tropical storms that cause ocean surges. As Large Loss experts, we also have suitable solutions for massive regional facilities, like the Museum of Discovery and Science or the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. When locations like Las Olas Boulevard become affected, the economy takes a hit because the high-end hotels, retail locations, and high-rise condos are in the path of damage.
Clearing Floodwater with Powerful Tools
Effectively clearing surface floodwater means having the right tools for the job. Whether a single-family house or cleaning up the permanent home of the Florida Panthers hockey team at War Memorial Auditorium, the equipment for the job is similar. SERVPRO uses:
- Weighted Extractors
As leading restoration professionals, SERVPRO® must help homes and businesses fast when flood damage strikes. This urgent response is even more critical with the historical properties of the region that could become irreparably harmed, like the Bonnet House. We are ready to help with the required extraction, cleaning, and repair services. Call SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale South at (954) 776-2000.
Navigating the Storm: Essential Tips for Hurricane Season 2023 Preparedness
Hurricane Season 2023 Safety Tips.
Why Hurricane Preparedness is Important
As we all enter another hurricane season here in southern Florida It is good to stay ready so you don’t have to get ready. Hurricanes are potent storms that can inflict extensive damage, causing flooding, power outages, and property destruction. Ensuring you are prepared for a hurricane can safeguard your family and property. Here are some reasons why hurricane preparedness is paramount:
- Unpredictability: Meteorologists can track a hurricane's path but can't predict its exact strength or potential damage. Despite useful resources like Hurricane Hunters, Mother Nature repeatedly shows us that we can never wholly foresee a storm's impact. Preparation for the worst-case scenario can help you weather the storm safely.
- Widespread Damage: Hurricanes can damage homes, businesses, and infrastructure, including power lines, roads, and bridges. Hurricane preparedness can help minimize property damage and expedite recovery post-storm.
- Potential Fatality: Beyond property damage, hurricanes can also cause loss of life. Being prepared for a hurricane can help you and your family stay safe during the storm and avoid perilous situations.
How to Prepare for a Hurricane
Preparing for a hurricane may seem daunting, but by taking some straightforward steps ahead of time, you can enhance your chances of full recovery. Here are some tips for hurricane preparedness:
- Assemble a disaster kit: This kit should include essentials like non-perishable food, water, a first-aid kit, flashlights, batteries, and a battery-powered radio. Do not forget necessary medications, important documents, and extra cash.
- Secure your home: There are steps you can take to fortify your home during a hurricane. These include installing hurricane shutters, reinforcing garage doors, and trimming trees and shrubs around your house.
- Document your property: It is crucial to take photos and videos of your property and belongings before a storm. This documentation can help prove incurred damage, which is useful for insurance purposes.
- Know your evacuation routes: If you live in a hurricane-prone area, familiarize yourself with your local evacuation routes. Plan where you would go if you need to evacuate and share this plan with your family.
- Stock up on supplies: As a hurricane approaches, it is prudent to stock up on essentials like food, water, and gas for your car. This ensures you have what you need if you cannot leave your home.
What to Do During a Storm
During a hurricane, staying informed and taking measures to protect yourself and your family are crucial. Here are some tips:
- Stay indoors: If you are home when a hurricane hits, stay inside and away from windows and doors. If you are in a low-lying area, move to higher ground.
- Heed local authorities: Tune into local news and follow the directives of local authorities. If you are told to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Turn off utilities: Turn off your electricity, gas, and water before the hurricane strikes to lessen the risk of electrical fires, gas leaks, and flooding.
- Avoid floodwaters: Never drive or walk through floodwaters—they can be incredibly dangerous. The IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) labels rising water from a hurricane as "Category 3 water"—grossly contaminated water that can pose severe health risks.
- Prepare for power outages: Hurricanes can cause prolonged power outages. Have a backup generator or alternative power sources ready.
By adhering to these tips, you can help ensure your safety during a hurricane.
What to Do After a Storm
Post-hurricane, it is vital to assess any damage and begin recovery. Here are some steps:
- Assess damage: Check your home and property for any damage. If you suspect structural damage, avoid entering your home until it is inspected by a professional.
- Contact your insurance company: If your property has been damaged, get in touch with your insurance company promptly to start the claims process.
- Clean up debris: Hurricanes often leave behind debris, including fallen trees and branches. Safely remove any debris to prevent further damage.
- Check on neighbors: Ensure your neighbors are okay and offer any assistance you can.
- Stay informed: Keep up with recovery efforts in your area and heed instructions from local authorities.
Hurricane preparedness is crucial for anyone living in hurricane-prone areas like Florida. At SERVPRO®, we understand the devastating impact hurricanes can have on your family, home, and business. Our dedicated disaster recovery protocol and specialized storm teams are always ready for whatever happens. Download a complimentary copy of our Hurricane Preparedness Guide, which includes extensive emergency contact information for Broward, Collier, and St. Lucie Counties."
Historic Flooding in Ft. Lauderdale Makes Water Cleanup Critical
Excess water in your home needs to be removed quickly. Contact SERVPRO for certified technicians and effective equipment.
Get Rid of Contaminants & More with Water Cleanup
After more than two feet of rain fell recently, many homeowners in Ft. Lauderdale wonder what to do. Most hurricanes leave the area with less standing water, and many residents need to prepare for the effects of such rainfall. Water cleanup services from SERVPRO help many residents in situations like this recent disaster.
Our franchise in Ft. Lauderdale always responds rapidly to emergency services, especially with water cleanup. We can make your home livable again for you and your family. In response to large disasters, we can rely on other SERVPRO franchises to help with the increase in cleanup and recovery work. We never cut corners or leave a project unfinished.
Here are some of the activities we perform to provide homeowners with the most appropriate services for disasters involving water:
- Deal with standing water and foreign material,
- Dry, disinfect, deodorize
- Take protective measures.
We use a style of pump truck that allows us to remove water from the inside of your home and any foreign matter that might increase its contamination level. Removing both reduces costs by decreasing the time involved and eliminating an extra step.
Commercial-strength desiccant machines help our air movers and heaters dry your home, making it easier to clean up and disinfect surfaces. Disinfectant sprays make surfaces more than clean but also safe for your family. After this stage, deodorization becomes much easier to do. Masking agents, absorbent charcoal, and our hydroxyl-generating machine combine for a powerful tool to keep odors from bothering your family.
In addition to the disinfectants we use to eliminate organic pollutants, other sprays can help stave off infestation from microbes like mildew and fungi. Also, to keep excess water vapor from becoming a nuisance, we can install a highly recommended dehumidifier to maintain proper humidity.
Contact SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale South at (954) 776-2000. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
FEMA Assistance Approved for Broward County Residents: SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale is Ready to Help With Your Restoration Needs
Faster to any size disaster!
Attention Broward County Residents
FEMA Disaster Assistance is now available for those affected by the April 12-14 severe storms, tornadoes, and flooding. On April 29th, 2023 FEMA released information stating that President Biden has issued a major disaster declaration for the State of Florida, allowing for disaster assistance to be distributed to those in need.
If you are a homeowner or renter in Broward County and were affected by the severe weather, you are eligible to apply for FEMA disaster assistance. This assistance may include financial aid for temporary lodging, home repairs, and other disaster-related expenses.
Applying for Assistance
To apply for FEMA disaster assistance, homeowners and renters in Broward County can visit DisasterAssistance.gov, use the FEMA mobile app, or call 800-621-3362. The helpline is available from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, and help is available in most languages.
It is important to note that FEMA disaster assistance is not a substitute for insurance coverage. If you have insurance, you should still file a claim with your insurance company. However, if you are underinsured or uninsured, FEMA disaster assistance may be able to provide support.
Remember, if you were affected by the severe weather in Broward County in April, you have options for assistance. Do not hesitate to reach out to FEMA for help.
As you begin the process of seeking disaster assistance, it is important to take steps to prevent further damage to your property. Document any damage and begin cleanup and repairs as soon as possible. It's also crucial to keep receipts from all purchases related to the cleanup and repair, as this will help with your insurance claims and potential FEMA assistance.
How SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale Can Help
If you need help with the cleanup and restoration process, including the reconstruction of your home or business, SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale is here to assist. As a national brand we come with more than enough resources and experience to handle any disaster, big or small. From water damage restoration to mold remediation and fire damage cleanup, we are here to help you get your life back to normal as quickly as possible.
Restoring your customer’s property is our priority, and they will have peace of mind knowing we are there quickly and work hard to limit damages. With more than 2000 locations, across the United States and Canada, we are quick to respond with 24/7 emergency service.
For more information on Florida's recovery efforts, visit floridadisaster.org/info and fema.gov/disaster/4709. You can also follow FEMA on Twitter at FEMA Region 4 (@femaregion4) and on Facebook at facebook.com/fema.
Remember, if you have been affected by the recent severe weather in Broward County, there is help available. File your insurance claims as soon as possible and reach out to SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale for assistance with the cleanup and restoration process. We are here to support you and our community during this challenging time.
Dealing with Flood Damage at Your Ft. Lauderdale Home
When you see our Green Fleet around town, you can ba assured that SERVPRO is on the job, ready to tackle flood damage.
Activities That Ease Recovery and Flood Repairs in Ft. Lauderdale
A flooded house presents many problems, like hazardous contaminants and slick surfaces. It also becomes a hive of activities as work crews clean, remove materials and decontaminate all areas affected by flood damage. Although it may seem more practical, staying close to the Ft. Lauderdale property can heighten your sense of loss since it is harder to distance yourself from the situation mentally.
Deciding to put some physical distance between you and the flood damage at your Ft. Lauderdale property is one thing. Still, you also need to find activities or amenities to fulfill the needs your home cannot provide over the days to weeks it takes SERVPRO to complete restoration tasks such as removing soot and replacing charred materials.
The Fort Lauderdale area offers everything from parks for relaxation and self-reflection to unique eateries to cater to your nutrition and tastes. There are also several landmarks and historical sites if you fancy sightseeing.
Where to Take in the Sights in Ft. Lauderdale
- Walk a notable street such as Las Olas Boulevard. The trendy street is a 20-minute walk to the beach, lined with galleries, boutiques, and restaurants.
- An interactive site like the Museum of Discovery and Science offers an IMAX theater, a live animal exhibit, and a simulated ride to Mars.
- Visit one of the oldest surviving structures in Ft. Lauderdale at the Historic Stranahan House Museum. It was built in 1901 as the home of Frank and Ivy Stranahan, who helped develop the city.
- Spend time at a park with a freshwater lagoon, nature trails, and picnic areas like the Hugh Taylor Birch State Park.
Even though the flood damage figuratively leaves a bitter taste in your mouth, you can use the downtime to try different Fort Lauderdale cuisines like Conch fritters, Alligator bites, Key lime pie, and Cuban sandwiches.
Notable Eateries That Offer These Include
- Bahama Breeze and The Conch Shack, where you can enjoy Conch Fritters
- Shuck N Dive and Gator's Dockside, which offer Alligator Bites
- La Colina Cuban Cafe and Casa Cubana, where you can try Cuban sandwiches
- Kermit's Key West Key Lime Shoppe and Blond Giraffe Key Lime Pie Factory
With SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale South addressing flood damage at your property, you can afford to take a step back and relax. Call (954) 776-2000.
SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale Shows Commitment to Community Engagement at Fleet Week Port Everglades
Fort Lauderdale Fleet Week
From April 23rd to April 30th, 2023, Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale played host to Fleet Week, a celebration of the U.S. Navy and its service members. The event was an opportunity for the public to experience an in-depth look at the life in the Navy, and SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale was proud to participate.
Michael Panster, President of SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale, and Lenny Brooks, Director of Business Operations for SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale and committee member of Broward Navy Days Inc. A non-profit organization that hosts and coordinates Fleet Week Port Everglades, attended the event to show their support for the Navy and its personnel. As a company that values community engagement, SERVPRO was excited to be part of an event that highlights the importance of service to one's country.
During Fleet Week Port Everglades, attendees had the chance to tour Navy ships and learn more about the life of a sailor. Mike and Lenny had the opportunity to tour the USS Cole a ship commissioned on June 1996 in Port Everglades, Florida. and unfortunately, was involved in a terrorist attack that resulted in the death of 17 sailors. SERVPRO is honored to be part of an event that celebrates the dedication and sacrifice of the U.S. Navy and its personnel.
As a company, SERVPRO believes in the power of community engagement and is committed to supporting local events that promote service, patriotism, and a strong sense of community. The team at SERVPRO of Fort Lauderdale is proud to have participated in Fleet Week Port Everglades and looks forward to continuing to engage with the community in meaningful ways.
Fire Damage Restoration for Floors in Ft Lauderdale Homes
SERVPRO has effective recovery and cleanup approaches to restore damaged hardwood floors after soot exposure.
Hardwood Requires Fire Damage Restoration
Hardwood flooring is standard in modern homes, so we must tailor fire restoration to aid these materials. We have effective recovery and cleanup approaches to restore damaged hardwood floors after soot exposure.
Clearing Debris and Soot Damage
Fire damage restoration for Ft. Lauderdale homes can often focus on the damage these disasters do to flooring in the house. We have to evaluate if hardwood floors are salvageable first, and if they are, we can work on removing loose debris and particulates heaped upon them. This buildup can be removed with the following:
- Chemical sponges
- HEPA vacuums
- Hand tools
Deep Cleaning Solutions with Agitation
Solvents and detergents are introduced after we remove the loose matter from the surface. Dissolving or emulsifying the residual soot helps to separate this soil from the substrate to protect the flooring from permanent staining and damage. Agitation and mechanical actions help these chemical processes happen faster, though SERVPRO professionals must be selective to prevent scratches.
Deodorization Solutions for the Room
Cleaning up the mess that a fire can leave behind when hardwood flooring becomes impacted means addressing the smells smoke creates. Pairing agents distributed with thermal and ULV foggers can effectively penetrate the semi-porous wood surfaces to neutralize trapped smells.
Effective Renewal of Wood Surfaces
The thorough cleaning and soot removal processes can leave hardwood looking dull and less attractive. Returning these materials to this pre-fire sheen can be essential to getting life back to normal “Like it never even happened.” We have wood crème paste, thymol, and citrus-based cleaners and products that can recover the color and contrast of hardwood.
After a fire, smoke damage can be a widespread concern for your residence. Our SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale South team is ready to help mitigate loss and clean your property. Call us at (954) 776-2000.
The Need to Remove Water Damage from a Fort Lauderdale Residence
SERVPRO provides advanced drying equipment like this LGR-low grain refrigerant dehumidifier to mitigate Fort Lauderdale area water damage.
Fort Lauderdale SERVPRO Water Removal Technicians Offer 24/7 Mitigation
Regardless of the time of year, Fort Lauderdale properties are vulnerable to water damage from structural or appliance issues that can happen seemingly out of nowhere, much to the frustration of homeowners. As a result, water–and eventually microbial growth–can potentially affect a home’s safety, indoor air quality, and the structural integrity of materials like drywall.
Extensively trained Fort Lauderdale SERVPRO water damage restoration technicians respond to cleanup calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This service includes weekends and holidays so community members can minimize home water damage while maximizing restoration potential for structures and contents.
Why Does Water Damage Smell?
Moisture tends to carry a distinctive, musty smell that is easily recognizable. However, Fort Lauderdale homeowners curious about this malodor’s origins should know the following:
- The smell does not come from the moisture itself but from bacteria or microbial growth in the water
- Mold and other microbes can spread enough to emit a noticeable odor in as little as 24- to 48 hours after water damage occurs
- Microbes thrive on a combination of relative humidity levels above 60%, lacking or inconsistent air circulation, warm temperatures, and availability of organic materials
Local SERVPRO professionals can remediate potential microbial growth and odors with commercial-grade water restoration services. Staff and franchise owners also undergo thorough training. They can pursue self-paced education modules about water damage’s effects and implement effective remediation strategies.
SERVPRO Water Mitigation Services Go Beyond Cleanup and Odor Control
SERVPRO techs’ water removal services focus primarily on safety and a restoration-first approach where possible. Some materials, like waterlogged sheetrock, are often easier and more economical to replace than simply clean and dry. Other items, like fiberglass insulation, can often be cleaned, dried, and restored successfully in a residential water damage scenario.
- Water damage remediation technicians can expel moisture from surfaces with the help of 3-system extraction units. Most surfaces on a property only require the vacuum system, but the heater and pump systems are also available for implementation during the cleaning of upholstery and carpeting
- Axial and centrifugal air movers work with low-grain refrigerant or desiccant dehumidifiers to remove, isolate, and collect moisture for disposal in a treated sewer
- Porous materials impacted by water and microbes can be treated with hydroxyl generators, which use ultraviolet light to eliminate odor-causing bacteria
- EPA-registered biocides double as sanitation and, to a lesser extent, odor control, especially when used in tandem with water damage deodorizing solutions
- Fort Lauderdale restoration technicians can also implement build-back services after water cleanup that include drywall repairs, HVAC cleaning, and repairing tile flooring
SERVPRO professionals ensure that the water damage restoration process is successful with careful inspection and analysis with calibrated penetrating and non-penetrating sensors and meters. Potential damage behind walls and ceilings can also be detected with the help of thermal imaging cameras that can pinpoint changes in temperature consistent with wall cavity moisture exposure.
SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale South can be reached at (954) 776-2000 for comprehensive, emergency-response repair and restoration services.
Can Fort Lauderdale Home Fire Damage Repaired by SERVPRO
This fire-damaged Fort Lauderdale home can be restored and repaired by our SERVPRO team of IICRC certified technicians.
SERVPRO Professional Fire Restoration Services Address Structure and Contents Damage
Home structural fire damage restoration can be a daunting task for any Fort Lauderdale homeowner to undertake after disaster strikes. Even small-scale kitchen fires, which are the leading cause of unreported home fires according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), can leave behind hard-to-remove damages that can have a lasting impact on walls and appliances.
Certified SERVPRO fire restoration technicians salvage Fort Lauderdale properties regardless of the scale of the disaster. Sophisticated technologies, tried-and-true cleanup methods, and extensive fire cleanup training combine to produce effective results that return fire-affected homes to a pre-disaster condition.
How Fire Damage Residues Impact Residential Structures
Fire and smoke damage can have a wide array of effects on surfaces in a home, such as:
- Drywall can easily become stained by smoke exposure
- Soot particles can settle in nooks and crannies of appliances, electronics, and other sensitive items
- Fire and smoke damage residues can also settle in HVAC components and ventilation shafts, which can potentially spread odors and soot throughout the property
- Fire odors can vary based on what was burned. Dry goods, such as paper and wood, have a distinct smell compared to burnt plastics or pungent protein residues. Each material also requires a different type of care for removal
- Soot can seep into porous surfaces like rugs, drapes, and upholstery. While these stains are often removable, consumer-grade solutions are much less likely to remove smoke residues fully
SERVPRO professionals provide Fort Lauderdale homeowners with commercial-grade solutions that eliminate fire damage stains and odors while minimizing demolition and replacement needs.
Remediating Fire and Smoke Damage with SERVPRO Cleaning Solutions
Fort Lauderdale SERVPRO professional soot removal entails a multitude of methodically implemented steps. These include:
- Manual cleaning of fire damage from ceiling to floor, and lightest to heaviest. This pattern provides effective, efficient cleaning that has minimal impact on surfaces
- SERVPRO crews can also perform structural drying for fire suppression before performing fire restoration services. A dry structure is necessary for safe remediation
- Heavy-duty cleaning options for fire damage include EPA-registered biocides, alkaline solutions, and abrasion blasting with soda ash, dry ice, and other blast media
- Odor Control Technicians (OCTs) can deploy solvent-based deodorizers via thermal foggers for fire odor removal. This device allows deodorizers to chemically bind with soot particles to thoroughly eliminate odors. Protein residues from kitchen fires can be addressed with specialized enzyme digesters that turn oily proteins into water-soluble byproducts for easy removal
- Soot removal with HEPA-filter vacuums can catch particles as small as 0.3 microns in size
After performing the cleanup, SERVPRO fire restoration technicians can focus on rebuilding services such as hanging new drywall where necessary, cleaning HVAC systems, repainting walls, and flooring repairs. SERVPRO professionals also clean salvageable contents thoroughly to return them to a pre-disaster condition once more.
SERVPRO of Ft. Lauderdale South renders 24/7 disaster mitigation services when property owners call (954) 776-2000.